Thursday, December 13, 2012

Escheresque

Alex Grey "Net of Being" (2002-2007)

My eyes have always been drawn to paintings, pictures, sculptures et that have symmetry. Most of all though, I am drawn to the Escheresque techniques various artists incorporate in their works. The mathematical beauty of shapes and tessellation I sought after as a child, still awes me as an adult today. (Maybe because I enjoy math...That I find it to be a big puzzle in itself?–Don't know). The artist Alex Grey in no doubt has some masterpieces of art–some[most] of his art is a bit bizarre though–and of course Grey's eye candy for me are his bright tessellation pieces. But Escher, he truly holds the key to my heart...or last jig to my saw. Just look at that brilliance below, and these lovelies are carved on wood :)  
M.C. Escher "Butterflies" (1950)

No comments:

Post a Comment